Members within the community of Pokemon World Online have created several IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channels to assist in helping out new and prospecting members. To use the IRC, an applet (does not require a download) or an IRC client (requires download) should be used. An example of an applet is Mibbit, though it has been known to give users problems. Common clients used include mIRC and XChat. Firefox also has a IRC extension known as ChatZilla.
- 1 The Authenticity of PWO IRC
- 2 Basic Commands
- 3 Rules
The Authenticity of PWO IRC
The IRC Channels #pwo and #pwo-other are the Official Chatrooms for Pokemon World Online. These channels are both located on irc.bitsjointirc.net
To allow the IRC to be properly maintained, an "IRC Staff" group exists in PWO that contains both PWO Staff and regular members. The users within this group are tasked with managing all elements of #pwo and #pwo-other, as well as making decisions regarding rule sets, user ranks, operating procedures and so on within said channels, and their decisions are considered officially binding.
PWO Game Administrators and Developers technically have the right to Ownership status in both channels, however in actuality only those who choose to be active in the chatrooms have this ranking.
General commands are important for the navigation of any IRC network.
Connecting to irc.bitsjointirc.net
In order to connect to the network through an IRC applet or client, type the following:
- /server irc.bitsjointirc.net
Changing your nickname
To change your nickname, type the following:
- /nick nickname
Joining a channel
In order to join a channel (note that channels start with a pound (#) symbol), type the following:
- /join channel name
Parting a channel
In order to part a channel, type the following:
- /part channel name parting message
Private messages can be done through a few ways. The first one is through a notice, which does not open a new tab in the server window. To notice someone type:
- /notice person you want to message message
An alternative way to start a private conversation is by using queries. Queries, unlike notices, open up a new tab in the server window. Queries are more practicable for longer private conversations than notices. To start a query type:
- /query person you want to message message
Quitting the network
To close an IRC session, type the following:
- /quit quit message
These commands make use of the NickServ. Commands using the NickServ are either started out with /msg nickserv or /ns.
Registering your nickname simply means that it belongs to you and no one else can use it, nicknames are automatically dropped by NickServ if they are inactive for a period of 21 days
- /ns register a password your email address
With a registered nickname you need to identify to NickServ when you log into your nickname. To identify type the following:
- /ns identify YourPassword
You can also use the following command:
- /pass YourPassword
If you are disconnected or someone else is using your nick, you may have a "ghost." To get rid of this ghost type:
- /ns ghost nick password
Recovers a nickname that someone else is currently using.
- /ns recover nick password
Drops a registered nick. Remember that once a nickname is dropped, it is available for use by anyone. In order to use this command, you must be identified under the nick you wish to drop.
- /ns drop nick you want to drop
Information on a nickname
This command shows information on a registered user, the date and time the nickname was registered, if the user is online or the last seen time the user was on
- /ns info nickname
To set protection on your nickname so no-one else can use it, use the KILL setting. There are four options; ON for nick changing after 60 seconds if not identified, QUICK for 20 seconds, IMMED to change it immediately, and OFF to disable.
- /ns set kill type
To change your Email Address for a registered nick
- Type /ns set email newEmailAddress
To change your password type
- /ns set password new password here
For other NickServ commands and more detailed help with them, check /ns help
These commands make use of the MemoServ. The MemoServ is used to send memos to users, which can be checked at a later time. Memos can be sent to people regardless of whether or not the user is online or offline. Commands using the MemoServ are either started out with /msg memoserv or /ms.
To send a memo to a registered nick
- /ms send nick message
To display a list of memos sent to you, type the following:
- /ms list
To read memos in your currently selected folder, type the following:
- /ms read number
- N.B. You can also use a list with this command, such as 1-3,5,7-9 (use hyphens to select consecutive messages, commas to separate choices)
To delete a memo from your currently selected folder, type the following:
- /ms del number
- N.B. You can also use a list with this command, such as 1-3,5,7-9 (use hyphens to select consecutive messages, commas to separate choices)
The following are the official rules for the Official PWO Chatrooms (#pwo and #pwo-other). Modifications to these rules should only be done with staff permission after a ruling by senior IRC Staff. These rules apply to both chatrooms, with the exception that the language in #pwo-other may or may not be English.
Listen to staff directives.
They are there to help you, whether with any game issues you may have or with understanding and acceptance of the rules. If you have an issue with an IRC Staff member you may bring it up in the chatroom on the condition that this is done with respect to the staff member and the other people in the chatroom.
Repeating behaviour that you have been warned/kicked/muted for will not be tolerated. You may also ask a staff member to discuss any issues with you in PM and they may also ask you to take issues with rules or rulings to PM if that is deemed a more appropriate place to discuss them.
You may not ignore a Staff Member.
All of BitsJoint-IRC server wide rules apply in all of the PWO IRC Channels and must be observed at all times.
- a) No XDCC/Warez.
- b) No P-O-R-Nography
- c) No user will harbor a botnet.
- d) No user will launch malicious attacks.
- e) No advertising other IRC networks.
Spamming and Flooding
Spamming and/or flooding any of the PWO IRC Channels is strictly prohibited and will result in action being taken against you, such as a mute, kick or ban. This rule includes, but is not limited to:
- a) Repetition: Posting the same line repeatedly within a certain time frame. HELP PLZ!! HELP PLZ!! HELP PLZ!! HELP PLZ!!
- b) Symbols Spam: Posting 'Nonsense' lines. asdflkjasdfljksdfljksdflkjsdfdf sssssssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! * ( ! @ & #
- c) Enter/Return Mania: One word per line, such as:
- I love
- d) All Caps: Typing in all caps. We can see your lines just fine. WHEN WILL THE SERVER BE UP!? Or WHEN WILL REGISTRATION BE UP!?!
- e) ASCII Spam: Posting text based images while others are talking.
- f) Smiley/Emoticons Spam: Constantly or randomly posting smilies/emoticons. IE: : ) : ) : ) : ) : )
- g) General SPAM: Anything typed out with the intent of being or that becomes annoying/disrupting the flow of the chat.
- (eg: /me spam-
- mynick is good
- mynick is great
- mynick does cartwheels
- mynick likes cats)
All PWO IRC Channels are “Family Friendly” so we request that you show manners, respect and appropriateness to all users and staff while talking in our channels. This includes, but is not limited to:
- a) No bashing, flaming, insulting, or hostility to any users
- i) Racial/Ethnical Slurs
- ii) 'Name Calling'
- iii) Attacks on a persons Mentality/IQ
- b) Foul language/Swearing/Cussing
- i) Words like heck, damn, crap and other less vulgar words are considered acceptable when used mildly.
- ii) Do not avoid censors. Censoring is still swearing.
- iii) Implied swearing is still swearing.
- iv) Ultimately, it's wiser to avoid the use of all foul language
- c) No inappropriate nicknames. If it isn't to be discussed about, it isn't to be nickname. This includes implied nicks.
- d) No trolling
- i) Lying, especially about the game/server
- ii) Attention seeking
- iii) Hacking
- iv) Impersonation of other users
Please make sure that while talking in our channels, that you abide by the following language rules and guidelines:
- a) English is the primary language (We can't assist you if we don't understand you) in #pwo
- b) You may use other languages in #pwo-other
Be aware that you are more likely to get a prompt response if you use English in either case so it may be worth your while using the Google Translator page if nobody is available to talk to you in your own language.
Topics and Discussions
Technically we don’t restrict the actual topics discussed in #pwo and #pwo-other. However considering the age of many people who play PWO and chat here some restrictions are inevitable. Below are some guidelines in this area:
- a) The primary purpose for the #pwo channel is support for PWO players. Please place all conversations on hold and assist them if possible before continuing other discussions.
- b) Trade requests and battle requests are to be taken to PMs. They should not be done in #pwo or #pwo-other.
- c) Excessive roleplaying, Q&A trivia and other chatroom games may be considered too spammy and disruptive to general chatting and help. If this happens it may be necessary to take the game to another chatroom. To create another chatroom simply type /join #<chatroom name here> and move the game there. This chatroom will not be under PWO Staff control and thereafter advertising of that channel will not be allowed.
- d) There is no official topic in the #pwo channel. Anything (within rules) can be discussed, as long as it's done in an appropriate manner.
- e) If an op feels the conversation is becoming too inappropriate, they may request you to change topics.
- f) Be respectful of all ages.
- i) Explicit discussions need to be taken to a PM
- ii) If you're not sure:
- 1) Ask an op (or other Staff) in a PM. If an op is not present, don't say it.
- 2) Take it to a PM: /query
- 3) Join/Create another chat room.
- g) Avoid discussions involving illegal activities (even if it's not illegal in your area). Including but not limited to:
- i) Drugs (including marijuana)
- ii) Hacking
- iii) Macroing
- iv) Roms/Emulators
In order to prevent further action being taken against an innocent user, we request that you follow the following guidelines to protect your nickname (username) in the IRC Chatroom so that it cannot be abused.
- a) To further avoid impersonation, and please register your name.
- i) /msg nickserv register password e-mail
- ii) /msg nickserv identify password when logging in
- iii) Your registration will automatically be removed after 30 days of inactivity
- iv) Staff/Ops may request no expiration to be approved by the network admin.
- v) Use /msg nickserv help for assistance on registration.
These rules and guidelines for advertising external links/internal channels, is in place to protect users from potentially dangerous websites or chat channels of a different appropriateness. These Rules and Guidelines include, but are not limited to:
- a) Do not advertise other online pokemon games.
- b) External links may be posted as long as it does not:
- i) Violate the IRC rules (even if it's outside the IRC)
- ii) Contain direct downloads (exceptions being PWO endorsed links)
- iii) Contain malicious links.
- c) Do not post channels/websites simply for getting users
- d) Do not advertise other IRC chatrooms. PWO Staff cannot vouch for the content in rooms not controlled by them.
PWO IRC Staff
You may identify PWO IRC Staff through the following ranks and symbols:
- Voice - + Symbol or Microphone in Mibbit
- Half-OP (Half Operator) - % Symbol or Half Star in Mibbit
- OP (Operator) - @ Symbol or Full Star in Mibbit
- Admin - & Symbol or Key in Mibbit
- Owner - ~ Symbol or House in Mibbit
- a) If you're told that you are in violation of the rules, cease your actions immediately. Staff will always warn first before kicking for ‘minor’ offenses. If you are kicked consider it a stronger warning.
- b) If you are Muted you are one step away from a ban- consider it your final warning. Attempting to avoid a Mute by relogging or changing nicknames will in most cases lead to a Ban.
- c) Ban Evasion will in every case get your ban extended.
- d) If you have an issue with a ruling, feel free to report your complaint by PMing one of the IRC Chat Leaders. Please include proper logs (copy and paste) of the incident. If you do not have logs, please include a time period of the incident. The IRC Chat Leaders are: HitmonFonty (http://pokemon-world-online.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=30749), and Pansy (http://pokemon-world-online.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1388).
- e) If you are banned from the channel you may post on the PWO IRC forums and appeal your ban. If you are abusive on the forums it will be treated appropriately by the Forum Moderators. (This is to all forum mods, close the topics immediately after an IRC Mod / IGN Mod (that's in irc) responds to why this person is banned.)
Misc and Other
All of the Rules and Guidelines that do not fall under any other category can be found here, nevertheless they must still be followed while chatting in any of the PWO IRC Channels. They include, but are not limited to:
- a) Channels:
- i) If you want to create a channel, first look for another channel that you can use. Channel recycling is a promoted action here. To view all channels use /list.
- ii) Do not use auto-response bots/macros/scripts in the main PWO channels unless approved by the IRC Leaders. However, they are allowed in user-ran channels such as tournament channels.
- iii) Please avoid constantly entering/leaving the channels.
- iv) Please avoid constantly changing nicks
- b) The IRC is not an alternative to Server Status checking or PWO_ Twitter watching for up to date Server information. Do not ask about the Server in #pwo or #pwo-other instead refer to the Site Information on the subject.
- c) If you are given a definitive answer to your query, do not keep spamming the chatroom if you are not satisfied with the answer. Nor should you post on the forums about the same topic unless IRC Staff suggest it would be worthwhile. If IRC Staff are unsure of a solution to your query they will tell you.
- d) Please do not give personal / account information in the open chatrooms. And always be extremely careful of what private information you give to anyone in Private Messages.